How to Find MotivationAugust 24, 2016
Introducing ‘The Essential Organic Company’September 12, 2016
If you are like most Nigerians giving up your delicious local soups for a “healthier lifestyle” is probably not something you do with a joyful heart. Nobody said a lifestyle change had to be boring. While on my own weight loss journey, I found ways to twerk most of our Nigerian soups to make them healthier. One of my personal favourites is Oil less Efo Riro. It’s really as simple as just skipping the oil; there is no magic trick to it. Nigerian stew and soups often come with loads of protein (goat, beef, smoked turkey, fish etc), these proteins have natural oils that is added into whatever you are cooking, additional oil is overkill. Excess oil consumption will eventually lead to weight gain
Here’s the Recipe
- 1Lb meats(I used turkey and smoked turkey)
- 4tbsps of dry grinded crayfish
- 4tbsps of Iru ie locust beans(optional)
- 1 Knorr cube
- 2tbsps dry grinded pepper or red chili flakes
- 1 habanero pepper or Ata-rodo
- 6 plum tomatoes
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 crushed clove of garlic(optional)
- 1 inch of grated ginger(optional)
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2lbs of spinach or any vegetable of your choice
- 1 large dry fish(washed and soaked in luke warm water)
- salt to taste
- Blend the tomatoes, ata-rodo and half of the onion with minimal water or none. Pour it through a fine mesh sieve to drain off the excess water
- In a soup pot, season the meats with the other half of the onion, crushed garlic, ginger, knorr, 1 tbsp. of grinded pepper and salt to taste. boil it in it’s own juices until almost dry; then pour in some water to the level of the meat and check for seasonings.
- If using smoked turkey, wash and boil it in a separate pot. Once it has softened a bit, drain, remove the salty skin and set aside.
- Once the cooking meat is almost soft, add the boiled, smoked turkey to it along with the blended tomato and pepper. Cover the pot slightly, reduce the heat and let it cook. There should be a sweet smell wafting through your kitchen. After about 15 minutes, add the crayfish, iru and dry fish. Taste for seasonings, and cook until the tomato has reduced. Add the spinach and the other tbsp. of the dry grinded pepper. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes to prevent the Spinach from over cooking.
- Turn off the heat and let the soup rest before serving