A workout buddy can change the way you feel about workouts. Getting one makes you more accountable, motivated, and may even fast-track your fitness goals. Because sometimes it is hard to remain motivated, if you dread it when your alarm goes off every morning when it’s time for your morning workout, or if you’re struggling to remain consistent, or you simply want to squeeze more out of every workout you do, then one of the smartest moves you can make is to get a workout buddy.
In fact, having the right workout buddy can often be the difference between failure and success, mediocre results and incredible results. When you’re just dragging yourself to the gym in the morning or after work, it’s easy to talk yourself out of it — less so when you know you’ll be meeting a friend there. The same is true for slacking off during your workouts; your buddy can quickly call you to order. Even if you find you work better on your own, the right workout partner can force you to tap into those extra reserves of strength and energy so that you push through a few extra reps. The right workout buddy helps you give it your all, and if you want great results then you’ve got to give it everything you’ve got: you get out, what you put in.
Here are six benefits of having a workout buddy:
1. Working out becomes fun You can get a serious workout, without being serious – it’s okay to have fun. In fact, the more fun your workouts are, the more you’re going to look forward to and be committed to them over the long-term. There’s absolutely no doubt that the right workout buddy can make your workouts more fun. Working out alone can be lonely, so just having that social contact – being able to laugh, encourage and motivate will make them much more enjoyable.
2. You’ll break out of boring routines When you work out alone, it’s all too easy to fall back on the same-old, same-old exercises. And that’s the fastest way to hit a fitness plateau. Like they say there is power in numbers, so you’re more likely to switch things up or think up new routines, and that will keep things interesting and ensure all your muscles get worked out.
3. Motivation and support For most people, having someone in your corner makes a huge difference to how motivated you are. Having a good workout buddy, who motivates and supports you, will boost your commitment to your fitness goals and confidence that you can achieve them.
4. You will reach your goal faster This goes along with the two previous points: when you’re being consistent and pushing yourself harder, your performance will improve faster than when you’re only attending the gym sporadically and slacking off when you do manage to get there.
5. You’re less likely to get injured Your workout buddy can check for correct form during certain routines, this would help in avoiding injury, of example they could tell you when your back is sagging during your plank or if you’re leaning forward too much while squatting. And that can save you lots of pain later.
6. Competition makes you perform better Most of us have at least a little competitive streak, and healthy competition is a good thing because it makes you perform better.